shortcut to content

Stillwater Central School District mastheadStillwater high school building entrance

bottom masthead edge
May 24, 2018
shadow spacer

Stillwater News

Requesting and accessing special education, gifted education or career/vocational education services for students attending non-public schools

Students at Stillwater Middle/ High Schools will be sponsoring the Sixth Annual Warrior Walk iPursuant to New York State’s “dual enrollment” education law (NY educ. 3602-c), parents who enroll their child in a nonpublic school who are seeking dual enrollment services (special education, gifted education and/or career/vocational education) for their child must file a written request for services on or by June first preceding the school year in which services are sought. If the nonpublic school is located outside the district of residence, then parents must also make the request with the district of location where the nonpublic school is located. To ensure timely arrangements are made, you are encouraged to request services and notify the applicable districts as early as possible. The location of the nonpublic school will directly impact which district is programmatically responsible to provide supports and services to eligible students and to determine eligibility for participation in such services.

If you enroll your child in a nonpublic school at your own expense and suspect that your child has a disability, you may refer your child to the school district where the nonpublic school is located to obtain (at no cost to you) an evaluation which will be reviewed by committee to determine your child’s eligibility for special education and to develop appropriate programs, supports and services, as necessary and appropriate. Parents may request special education services from the public school district where the nonpublic school is located within 30 days of the determination that the child qualifies as a student with a disability. Students who are home instructed by their parents are considered enrolled in a nonpublic school for purposes of accessing and obtaining special education services only.

Referrals for dual enrollment services should be directed to: Paul Morcone, UPK-12 Assistant Principal, 518-373-6100 ext. 30000,

Please note: state law requires parents who are planning to send children to private or parochial schools must file an application for special transportation by April 1 preceding the school year in which transportation services are sought. Download request form (PDF)






shadow spacer
mission statement type
This page is maintained according to Stillwater Central School District Web publishing regulations. This website was produced by the Capital Region BOCES Communications Service, Albany, NY. The district is not responsible for facts or opinions contained on any linked site. Copyright © 2015. All rights reserved. Contact Samantha Bloem, Webmaster, for site related questions or use our Feedback form.