At Stillwater Elementary School, we’re always encouraging our students to read, whether it is in school or at home. That’s why during the month of March, we’re asking family members and friends to partner up with children and open some books!
PARP is a program that asks a partner (parent, grandparent, babysitter, older sibling, cousin, friend, etc.) to read with a child for at least 15 minutes daily, stressing the fact that reading can be fun as well as informative. The choice of reading materials can vary from books to anything with printed words. The daily activity of reading together strengthens reading and communication skills in the child and strengthens their relationship.
This year’s PARP theme at Stillwater Elementary is is “Magic Garden…the more you read, the more you grow!” The students will be challenged to earn marbles for their classroom jar. Marbles can be earned by reading daily and by participating in activities throughout the program. Prizes will be given to the classrooms that earn the most marbles by Monday, Mar. 26.
The goal is to have students read 15 minutes or more, at least 5 times a week. If we accomplish that goal, the students will have read over 34,500 minutes!
PARP Month Events
Every visit to the Stillwater Library between Feb. 26-Mar. 26 will earn you a bonus marble!
- February 26: Kickoff at Morning Program with The Zucchini Brothers
- February 27: Carol Cary from Stillwater Library (Visits 1st, 3rd & 4th grades)
- March 1: Carol Cary from Stillwater Library (Visits K, 2nd & 5th grades)
- March 2: Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss & “Guess the Book” game in classes
- March 5: Week #1 reading logs due
- March 7: Deadline for Gorsky Farm’s Pizza Kit orders (Special visitors to classroom with the most marbles)
- March 9: Pizza Kit night at Gorsky’s Farm (visit the farm anytime between March 9-11 to earn a bonus marble)
- March 10: Scholastic Book Fair & Family Literacy Day (10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.) Shop the book fair with fun family activities!
- Special guest & local author Jodie Fitz & make your own pizza garden for the first 25 students.
- March 12: Week #2 reading logs due
- March 14: Book Fair & Read-A-Thon! (5-7 p.m.) Students & teachers can earn 1 marble for every 15 min. of reading
- March 15: Deadline to order Tara Crowl’s books (3rd-5th grades) and deadline to order Scott Cerkowski’s books (K-2nd grades)
- March 16: Wear Green for St. Patrick’s Day!
- March 19: Week #3 reading logs due
- Special guest & author Tara Crowl (Visits 3rd-5th grades)
- Special guest & author Scott Cerkowski (Visits K-2nd grades)
- March 20: Deadline to sign up to make an Air Garden
- March 22: Stay after school to make an Air Garden (3:30-4:30 p.m. and cost is $10 per student)
- March 23: Guptill’s Skate Night
- March 26: Week #4 reading logs due
- March 29: Closing ceremony! Students wear Stillwater Character t-shirts! Surprise performance & awards given to classrooms with the most marbles!