The Board of Education provides access to various computerized information resources through the District’s Computer System (DCS hereafter), consisting of software, hardware, computer networks and electronic communication systems. All use of the DCS, including off school premises, is subject to this policy, and such use must be in support of education and/or research consistent with the goals and purposes of Stillwater Central School District (SCSD hereafter).
In accordance with this policy, and the Children’s Internet Protection Act, it is the responsibility of all members of the SCSD staff to educate students on proper awareness and response to cyberbullying, and how to avoid personal exploitation from use of social networking and chat room sites. All staff will supervise and monitor student access of the DCS for accessing the Internet.
The District is not responsible for inappropriate content accessed via a student’s own personal technology or electronic device via an unfiltered Internet connection. Access to any computer resource in SCSD is a revocable privilege. District device and Internet access requires that the user has received a copy of this policy, and a district user account.
As authorized users students and staff have access to:
- Electronic mail (Students and staff have worldwide communication available.) All email transmissions are centrally archived and retrievable.
- Internal and external access to DCS network shared resources and may include: a public drive, Google drive, home folder, network applications, and district approved educational software.
- Internet browsing and data storage are regularly monitored and filtered. All internet user connections are recorded and retrievable.
- All data stored in the district provided Google Drive is monitored and can be flagged for inappropriate data.
All authorized DCS users will:
- Maintain confidentiality of their username and password.
- Protect privacy of other users’ electronic data.
- Report intentional/unauthorized attempts to “hack” network security.
- Use appropriate language and avoid forwarding inappropriate material to others.
- Not attempt to use proxy sites to bypass district firewalls.
- Desist from using personal operating systems contained on a flash or mobile drive.
- Use district technology for educational, school related matters only.
- Protect the network from viruses by scanning documents before introducing them into the network.
- Respect others’ intellectual property and will refrain from plagiarizing.
- Work within the confines of the Internet web filter device.
- Post only web content that positively reflects district goals and culture.
- Obtain permission to use non-district digital resources (data storage devices are acceptable).
In addition, no student will attempt, use or access:
- Any electronic device during class until given explicit permission to do so.
- A non-district, private wireless hotspot or VPN with their district provided devices.
- Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or other Internet provider for personal or shared Internet use on school grounds.
- Internet music streaming, non-educational games via CD, USB device, computer or web-browser.
- External social networking, or instant messaging sites.
- Synchronizing of school iPods, iPads or Chromebooks to personal or other iTunes accounts.
- Deleting or adding applications to school provided iPads, iPods, Chromebooks, or any district computer.
- District mobile computing devices for home use without proper permission and signed paperwork.
- Cameras on mobile devices to take or store a picture of anyone, without first obtaining that person’s explicit permission, and teacher’s permission.
- Any electronic device to intimidate, harass or threaten others.
Any person using the DCS in violation of this policy may lose access to the DCS, and be subject to further discipline under the District Code of Conduct.
Signature of Understanding and Agreement
I have read and understand the Stillwater Central School Computer Acceptable Use Policy. By signing this document, I indicate my willingness to abide by the Computer Acceptable Use Policy.
I further understand that any violation of the regulations of the policy may result in suspension of my privileges, and/or disciplinary action in accordance with the discipline process of the school district. I understand that school disciplinary and/or legal action may be taken.
In consideration for the privilege of using the Stillwater Central School network to access the Internet and internal resources, I hereby release and agree to indemnify and hold harmless Stillwater Central School District from any and all claims or damages arising from my access or use of the network.
Student Name (print):
Grade (At start of fall semester):
Student Signature & Date:
Parent/Guardian Signature & Date:
This form must be renewed on an annual basis with the Stillwater Central School District before a student will be able to utilize the school DCS.