Dear Stillwater Families,
As you know, on May 1, Governor Cuomo extended school closures for the rest of this school year. The extended closure has forced the district to cancel many of our anticipated annual spring events. Unless otherwise noted below, events that were previously postponed have unfortunately been cancelled.
The following events have NOT been cancelled and will either be rescheduled or the format will be changed.
- Top 6 Dinner – The dinner is cancelled. However, all students will be recognized. The details of this recognition are still being worked out.
- UPK Registration will be held in June. A date is still to be determined.
- Kindergarten Screening will be held in June. A date is still to be determined.
- 5th Grade Moving Up Celebration will be done virtually and shared on the district website.
- Kindergarten Information Night – All information will be shared in a video that will be posted on our district website.
- 8th Grade Moving Up Ceremony will be done virtually and posted on our district website.
- National Junior Honor Society Induction Ceremony has been moved to the fall. A date will be announced on next year’s district calendar.
- Prom has been tentatively rescheduled for Friday, June 19. However, it may have to be cancelled depending on the governor’s executive order at that time.
- Awards Recognition will be done as part of our high school graduation.
- National Honor Society Induction Ceremony will be done virtually and posted on our district website.
- Class of 2020 Graduation – Seniors will graduate and receive their diplomas on June 27. We hope to have the ceremony as scheduled, but we are working on plans for a different format should social distancing rules require that. We will share more information as the date gets closer.
There will be an opportunity for students to get their personal belongings before the end of the year. We are working to develop a system that places student safety first. We will share more details once that plan is in place.
I want to remind everyone that our district is committed to providing continued remote instruction through June. Students should continue to engage in online instruction, ask questions and complete all work to the best of their ability. It is extremely important that they complete all assignments and check in with their teachers often. Students who borrowed a Chromebook or iPad should retain that device for the summer and are encouraged to utilize it for continuing education. We will collect the devices when we return to school in the fall. Families leaving the district must return the devices or else they will be billed.
Our entire community is saddened by the loss of so many anticipated events for our students. I hope that their connections with their teachers remain strong and healthy as they work to complete the 2019-20 school year successfully. Stay strong, Warriors. We are in this together.
Superintendent of Schools