The Stillwater Athletic Department is waiting for guidance from the Department of Health on whether or not high-risk sports such as basketball will be able to play competitions. The Department of Health will give schools guidance on competitions no later than Thursday, December 31. However, high-risk sports such as basketball have been approved to conduct off-season training sessions under the following guidance:
General Considerations (High-Risk Sports):
- Contact between players may only be incidental and any activities that are specifically designed to promote close physical contact are prohibited.
- When determining if an activity/ drill meets the standards of NYSDOH guidance, consider the following items for high-risk sports:
- focused on skill development
- individual or distanced group training
- social distance maintained
The Stillwater Athletic Department and coaches are looking to host open gym training sessions for student-athletes in grades 9-12 who are interested in playing basketball this upcoming season. The winter season is scheduled to begin on Monday, November 30. However, it could possibly be pushed to January 4.
Stillwater will offer the following:
- Two sessions a week for a maximum time of 90 minutes per session.
- Sessions will be broken down into 45 minute blocks of time.
- Six players will be allowed during each 45 minute block of time.
- Sessions will be on Monday and Wednesday.
- 3:30 – 5 p.m. for girls
- 6 – 7:30 p.m. for boys
- Again, training will be for potential basketball players in grades 9-12 only.
Our program will be designed with one player at a basket working on individual skills with their own ball provided by the school. When the Department of Health makes their decision on whether or not high-risk sports can compete in games, we will make changes to the workouts based on the guidance they provide.
How to Participate:
If your student is interested in attending the basketball workouts, please send an email to Athletic Director Mike Kinney at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 11. Please include the following in the email:
- Student name
- Student email address
- Parent email address
The training sessions will begin on Monday, Nov. 16. Athletes will need to read and bring a signed copy of the safety protocol document with them on the first night of training. If they do not have a signed copy, they will not be allowed in.